John Abbott College Continues to Set Benchmarks for Sustainability
YOU’VE COME A LONG WAY BABY!
Awards stack up for local Building
Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue, QC – January 11, 2016 –The science building at John Abbott College, named after Anne-Marie Edward (’88) in 2013, is a shining example of hard work, perseverance, energy and spirit, from its namesake to the hundreds of people involved in the coming of age of this monument to sustainability and innovation in a suburb of Montreal, Québec.
Even before the first class was held in August 2012, the Anne-Marie Edward Science building had received its first award, one of excellence for its design:
- The Canadian Architect Award of Excellence is given each year for architectural design excellence of buildings in the design stage. Saucier + Perrotte architectes won the 2009 Award of Merit for the John Abbott College Health & Science Building, (later named the Anne-Marie Edward Science Building).
Following this honour, accolades have continued including those for talent, and energy efficiency:
- Les Grands Prix du génie-conseil québécois édition 2013 – Building Structure Category – was presented to SDK and Associates Inc. and John Abbott College. These awards celebrate the talent and creativity in Québec, while also highlighting the critical importance of the collaboration between engineering consultants, contractors and the clients.
- The AQME Energy Award was presented to Pageau Morel and Associates & John Abbott College by the Association québécoise pour la maîtrise de l’énergie (AQME) in February 2015, winning the category for ‘New Construction – All Sectors’. The AQME actively promotes energy efficiency, while sharing the best practices and innovations in the industry, assisting those looking to initiate energy efficient projects.
- In 2015, John Abbott College received LEED® Gold Certification for the Anne-Marie Edward Science Building, demonstrating the level of commitment to sustainability on behalf of the College and its community.
- The ASHRAE Technology Awards recognize outstanding achievements in innovative building design in the areas of occupant comfort, indoor air quality and energy conservation. Performance is proven through one year’s actual, verifiable operating data. Pageau Morel and Associates and John Abbott College received the 2016 First Place award for Category II – Education Facilities (New).
This building, which houses six science and related technology programs and earned the LEED® Gold Certification, continues to set impressive benchmarks in both performance and sustainability.
About John Abbott College
John Abbott College is a public Anglophone college serving students since 1971. Today, the increasingly diverse student body includes 6500 fulltime day students and an additional 2000 continuing education students. John Abbott is situated on the western tip of the Island of Montreal.