Registrar’s Office

Name change procedure at
John Abbott College


The name change procedure enables students to use an alternate name for certain purposes while studying at John Abbott College.
The chosen name may be used on all unofficial College documents and tools, such as:

  • Student ID card
  • Class lists
  • Lea & omnivox
  • Exam rosters

The student’s legal name must appear on official College documents, such as:

  • Transcripts
  • Reports to government
  • Letters of attestation
  • Diplomas and certificates

Filing a name change for use at John Abbott does not change a student’s legal name or records with government authorities.

Students may request this service in strict confidence by sending an MIO to Name Change, indicating your chosen name. Once your name is changed, you can go to Student Activities and get a new Student ID card. The chosen name will then be used on all unofficial documents in the future and MIO.
Sometimes technological errors beyond our control occur and the system will revert back to your legal name. If you experience this, please send an MIO to Name Change and we will resolve the issue in a timely manner.

Trans Rights Working Group
February, 2018 if you have any questions or concerns.

back Skip to content