Student Services

Financial Assistance


Financial Assistance Services provides all essential information on the different financial assistance programs to which John Abbott students may apply. Our service provides advice on the options available to students and assistance with the various application procedures for financial aid.

Government Student Loans and Bursaries Program

The following financial assistance programs can be accessed through our service:

Government Student Loans and Bursaries Program
You may apply to the Québec loans and bursary program for assistance during your full-time studies.

This program helps students with the cost of their basic needs. Some students may have to cut down on non-essential life expenses to make ends meet and/or obtain part-time employment. The amount awarded to students is based on their annual income as well as on their parents or spouse’s annual income, as applicable.

Note: If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident from another province visit for information about government financial aid.


Am I eligible to receive financial assistance for my studies?

You may qualify for loans and bursaries through the Québec government’s Aide financière aux études (AFE) if you are a full-time (or deemed full-time) student and meet the following criteria:

  • You are a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident, refugee or protected person within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and
  • You reside or are deemed to reside in Québec when applying for financial assistance; and
  • You need financial assistance in order to pay for your studies.

Students receiving welfare or employment insurance during their studies are not eligible for loans and bursaries.

I am not a Québec resident. How can I receive help financing my studies?
Apply for student financial aid through your province of residence. FAS can help you with your application and can confirm your enrolment at the College.
How much can I receive?

The amount of assistance awarded is based on the financial situation of the applicant and in some cases, the financial situation of your parent(s), sponsor or spouse. AFE’s assessment simulator helps you estimate the amount of government loans and bursaries you may receive during the academic year.

Please note: The amount entered for tuition should only include your CEGEP registration fees ($162 per semester for full-time day students and $117 per semester for full-time Continuing Education students).

I live on my own. Can I get more money?
AFE assumes that you are still your parents’ dependent. It is up to you to demonstrate your financial independence by proving that you meet at least one of the criteria.
How do I apply for loans and bursaries?

If you are applying for loans and bursaries for the first time, you will need to create a new account on the AFE website at You will need your permanent code (you can find this on your Progression Chart on My JAC Portal) and your social insurance number.

Once you have logged on to your online services account, complete the application for full-time assistance for the relevant academic year.

When filling out an application for Québec’s Loan and Bursary program, you will need:

  • John Abbott’s institution code: 935000
  • Your Program Code

Once you have submitted your online application, AFE will tell you which documents they need to complete processing; use your Online Services to submit them electronically.

If your parents, sponsor or spouse need to fill out a declaration, have them do it online.

What if I don’t have a permanent code?
Students who have not yet received their permanent code must submit a paper application for financial assistance.
Do I have to apply for loans and bursaries every year?
Yes, application forms are available in May each year. If you have been newly admitted to John Abbott, you should complete your AFE application as soon as the online forms become available for the upcoming academic year to avoid potential delays in receiving your money.
How long will the application take to process?

In general, once AFE has received all the required information and supporting documents, your online application will be processed within 4 weeks. If you have submitted a paper application, it can take 6-8 weeks for your application to be assessed.

Please refer to the homepage of the AFE site to check the current processing times.

How do I receive my money?

The decision and assessment of awarded financial assistance will be available in your Online File. You will receive an email asking you to check your file using your Online Services.
If this is your first time applying for financial assistance, you’ll need a Guarantee Certificate. Aide financière aux études will notify you by email when it’s available via your Online Services. You’ll need to print the document and present it to your financial institution to have your loan and any bursaries deposited directly into your account.

Students with loans only will receive a single payment at the beginning of each term. Students receiving loans and bursaries will have a larger sum deposited into their account at the start of the term, with additional aid in the form of monthly deposits.

What is the difference between a loan and a bursary?
The loan part of your financial assistance will need to be repaid to your financial institution (bank) whereas the bursary component of your financial assistance does not need to be paid back.
Why is my bursary showing up as a loan?
All deposits are made as a loan throughout the academic year. At the end of each academic year, AFE confirms your income with the information provided to Revenu Québec and does a loan to bursary conversion at which time your bursary is removed from your loan debt.
When do I have to repay my student loan?

You are not expected to pay back your loan while you are a full-time student (or deemed a full-time student) but interest is calculated starting the month after your studies come to an end. You will be expected to start paying back your loan 6 months after the end of your studies.

If you want to pay back your student loan more quickly, contact your financial institution directly as soon as you finish your studies to establish an agreement.

How do I confirm my enrolment at John Abbott College?
If you already have an active request for financial aid, our Financial Assistance Services office will automatically provide AFE with proof of your enrolment. Should you require proof of enrolment for any other reason (e.g., to defer payment on your student loan), contact us.
My situation (financial, family, education, etc.) has changed since I applied for loans and bursaries. What do I need to do?
You are required to notify AFE of any changes in your personal situation as soon as possible since any changes could affect the amount of financial assistance to which you are entitled. This should be done by completing a Declaration of Change under the full-time forms section of your AFE Online Services.
AFE has asked me to confirm my financial resources. What does this mean?
You are required to confirm your financial resources twice each award year, (in September and January), in order to avoid suspension of payments. You will received a notice from AFE when it is time to confirm your financial resources.
I received a notice from AFE about an income discrepancy. What is this and what do I have to do?

For more information, please contact the Financial Assistance Officer at or log on to My JAC Portal and consult the information posted in the Financial Assistance Services community.

John Abbott College Bursary and Scholarship Funds
Each year, the John Abbott College Foundation awards bursaries and scholarships to its students. Generous donors  make it possible for Financial Assistance Services to distribute over $40,000 in financial aid annually. Click here to see complete list.

Canadian Second Language Bursary Program please visit

For more information, please contact the Financial Assistance Officer at or log on to My JAC Portal and consult the information posted in the Financial Assistance Services community.

John Abbott College Bursary and Scholarship Funds
Each year, the College awards bursaries and scholarships to its students. Generous donors and the John Abbott College Foundation make it possible for Financial Assistance Services to distribute over $40,000 in financial aid annually.  Click here to see the complete list.

Canadian Second Language Bursary Program please visit

For more information, please contact the Financial Assistance Officer:
MIO: Financial Assistance
Tel: 514-457-6610 x5540

Financial Assistance Services also offers services to registered students who are experiencing major financial difficulties that are putting their studies in jeopardy. Students who are in this situation should meet with the Financial Assistance Officer and visit the Financial Assistance Services community on My JAC Portal

Other Services Available

  • Commissioner of Oaths
  • Budgeting and Debt Management
  • Information on Community and Government Resources
  • Referrals to College and Community Support Services
  • Help with the Cost of Textbooks
  • Assistance with AFE and Out-of-Province Financial Assistance Applications
back Skip to content