How to apply
For information about how international students must apply to John Abbott College, visit this website: https://www.sram.qc.ca/international-student
Deadline to apply:
Fall semester: March 14
Winter semester: August 31
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT FEES
(All amounts subject to change without notice)
Arts, Literature and Communication – Liberal Arts – Science – Social Science – Visual Arts
|Cost per Semester|
|Tuition||$ 6 796.00|
|Out of Country Fee *||$ 50.00|
|Student Services Fee||$ 62.00|
|Registration Fee||$ 20.00|
|Student Association Fee||$ 55.00|
|Educational Support Fee||$ 25.00|
|Total per semester||$ 7 008.00|
|ANNUAL COST||$ 13 616.00|
* One-time fee paid in the student’s first semester.
Additional expenses include:
- School books, supplies and lab fees: $ 300 – $ 800
- Housing: $ 2 000 – $ 4 000
- Food: $ 1 800 – $ 2 500
- Transportation: $ 200 – $ 800
- Clothing: $ 400 – $ 800
- Personal, miscellaneous items: $ 300 – $ 500
Information about the Pre-University Programs offered at John Abbott College can be found here.
Health and Medical Insurance
ALL international students must have continuing valid health and hospitalization insurance for their entire stay in Canada. This insurance must be purchased through John Abbott College. John Abbott College takes part in the collective group insurance plan for international students enrolled in Quebec Colleges. Once you confirm your acceptance to John Abbott College, the College will automatically enroll you in this mandatory insurance plan and furnish you with a fulfillment package at the start of the semester. The International Programs Office provides on-going support for health and medical insurance information for your entire career at the College. They will help answer all of your questions and assist you in filling out your insurance claim forms.
The Insurance Fee for the full year (August 1 to July 31) is approximately $70/month. Be advised that amount is subject to change. Your insurance fees will be applied to your account and are payable through Omnivox.
Details of the insurance package can be found here.
International students who do not live with family or friends have two choices of accommodation: Campus residence and off-campus living. The Housing Services Office is responsible for Campus residence. They also maintain a list of off-campus housing for the benefit of students.
John Abbott College offers the finest in on campus accommodation in Stewart Apartments. The building provides housing to 191 full time students in fully furnished apartment style living. The building is connected to the rest of the College allowing easy access to classrooms, the library, as well as the Casgrain Sports Centre. Click here for more information.
Off-campus housing is available close to the John Abbott campus. The Housing Services Office maintains an up-to-date and interactive list of off-campus accommodation (houses and apartments). The list is updated regularly. The off-campus housing list is not screened by John Abbott College so students are encouraged to properly research and request references from each potential landlord.
There is very limited temporary accommodation in Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue. International students are advised to arrange accommodation in advance of their arrival to Canada. For the benefit of visiting friends and family, there is a wide selection of hotels in the West Island of Montreal, at a reasonable car ride from the College.
For more information about off-campus housing click here.
Working in Canada
Health and Wellness
The John Abbott Health and Wellness Centre promotes healthy lifestyles.
Services, provided by a nurse and available during working hours from Monday to Friday include, health education, individual consultation, and clinical services. A medical clinic operates 2.5 days a week, where students can make an appointment to see a physician.
The Centre makes referrals, where necessary, to community, government and other Montreal area health partners. The medical and support services offered by the Health and Wellness Centre are free of charge and confidential. Their website explores a number of health issues faced by College students, and provides links for additional support.
The College’s Dental Hygiene Program operates an on-campus clinic, in the Stewart East Building, offering dental care at moderate cost.
Counselling Services are available to all JAC students. Professional counsellors serve the John Abbott community for one-on-one personal counselling sessions that are arranged by appointment or on a drop-in basis. Schedules of drop-in clinics are listed on this office’s website. Good web links for many issues, including depression, anxiety, eating disorders, sleep problems and rape, are given on the site. Counselling Services offers confidential career and educational counselling. Other services provided by this office include holding workshops on a wide variety of topics. For example, “Managing Life Stressors” is a program especially tailored to fit the needs of the CEGEP students. Confidential telephone ‘help-line’ numbers for suicide, pregnancy, abuse are also available.
Fun Outside of the Classroom
Physical Education and the Student Activities departments offer hands-on health resources for students. Phys. Ed provides tangible avenues for students to participate in competitive and leisure sports activities. Student Activities organizes workshops and coordinates student clubs and associations at the College. Check out JAC Student Activities on Facebook.
Convera GlobalPay for International Students
The most efficient payment process for an international student to pay their student fees from outside of Canada is through Convera’s GlobalPay for Students. This option allows you to pay the Canadian dollar student fees in the currency of your choice. Note: This is not a payment through Convera Agent locations (except in the case of some payments from India). You will simply be paying a Convera Bank account, and then Convera transfers the funds to John Abbott College in Canadian dollars.
Step-by-step instructions on how to make the payment are provided just below.
Benefits of using Convera’s GlobalPay for Students
- You make payment in the currency of your choice. This amount is then converted to Canadian dollars.
- The exchange rate quote is locked in for your payment for 72 hours after the quote is obtained.
- The exchange rate is very competitive when compared to your financial institution’s retail rates, and bank service fees may be reduced since the wire transfer that you initiate is a local transfer.
- There are NO transaction charges from Convera or John Abbott College, though you may be charged a transaction fee by your bank.
Efficient and Timely Posting
- Please include your reference information to ensure your payment reaches your John Abbott College student account quickly, typically two to five business days after your bank initiates payment.
Step by Step instructions
Step 1: Navigate to the Convera GlobalPay for Students website
Step 2: Provide Student/Payer Information
- Complete the required fields on Convera’s website (Student’s John Abbott College ID number, student’s first and last name, email address, etc.) and select NEXT.
Step 3: Enter Payment Details
- Enter the amount you wish to pay in Canadian dollars and select NEXT.
- Select the currency that you would like to pay in* from drop down list. You will notice on the right-hand side that you now see the amount that you will be paying in the currency selected.
** Select NEXT.
- Select the checkbox if you would like to receive the payment instructions via email.
- Complete other fields as listed if payer is not the student then select NEXT.
- Review conditions and select the checkbox, then select SUBMIT.
- NOTE: You may need to temporarily allow pop-ups on your computer in order to view the payment instructions.
Step 4: Bank Transfer
- Print your payment instructions and make the payment. For most countries this will be by wire at your bank.***
- Instruct your bank to wire transfer funds to the Convera bank account indicated on your payment instructions.
- The reference number on the payment instructions is very important. It MUST be included on your payment in order for the funds to be correctly and promptly applied to your student fee account. A reference number should NOT be used more than once. If you are making a second payment, or have a quote that has expired, please go through Steps 1-3 again to get new payments instructions with a new reference number.
- The payment must be sent within 72 hours of the quote or Convera shall use the current exchange rate to convert the currency. The expiry of the quote is indicated on the bottom of the payment instructions that you have printed.
Step 5: Payment Finalized
- While the transfer is in progress your account will continue to show the outstanding amount.
- John Abbott College will post the Canadian dollar equivalent to your student account, generally two to five days after your local bank initiates payment.
* If your local currency is not an option available in the system, you will need to choose another currency on the list to arrange your payment, or contact [Enter Your Contact Information Here] for more information. The subject line should read “Convera payment issue”. Please indicate what currency you are trying to pay in, or where you are trying to pay from, and what the precise issue is.
** When paying from China or India, you will be given your rate when you process your transfer per the payment instructions.
*** For payments from India, China and South Korea, you will be instructed to pay on a particular website or bank (e.g. ICICI for India)