FAQ and One-Stop Shop

If you cannot find the answer to your question in the list below, please send us an email: communications@johnabbott.qc.ca




COVID and FLU - Guidelines applicable to students and employees

On November 3rd, the Quebec government eliminated the requirement to isolate for five days if a person tested positive for COVID-19.

In summary, the expected practice is as follows for all students:

  • Continue to monitor your health regularly.
  • If you start to experience flu-like symptoms (fever, cough, loss of sense of smell or taste, sore throat, or nasal congestion), perform a COVID-19 rapid test as soon as symptoms appear to find out if you have a COVID-19 infection.
    You should do the following for 10-days as of the onset of symptoms (in all cases – whether COVID positive or not):

o   You have a fever and feel weak: stay home, students should inform their teachers that they are unable to come to school and ask what work they can do from home to stay on track. Employees should inform their supervisor.

o   You do not have a fever, and feel capable of coming to school/work, you should proceed with your normal day, but follow these additional practices: wear a mask when on campus and in the presence of others; where possible, keep your distance from others and avoid social events.

To be clear, the protocols that apply at the College are the same as those detailed on the Quebec Health Services website


For the time being, the College will apply the published protocol on the Quebec government website, and will no longer maintain any specific local COVID-19 protocols.

The College will continue to provide masks and hand sanitizer at entrances.

​We remind you that employees and students who have symptoms, or are recovering from COVID-19, must wear masks and continue to follow the Government directives detailed at this link: https://www.quebec.ca/en/health/health-issues/a-z/2019-coronavirus/basic-health-instructions.

For students unsure of what to do or with questions, e-mail authorized.absence@johnabbott.qc.ca or healthandwellness@johnabbott.qc.ca

​Thank you for your continued cooperation in helping us maintain a healthy College environment.

How can I speak to an Academic Advisor for questions about my studies?

Topics you can discuss with an Academic Advisor:

Your program and program planning. Your academic goals. Taking pre-requisites. Career and life goals. Working part-time. Changing your program. University planning.

To book an appointment with an Academic Advisor:

  • On OMNIVOX, under “My Omnivox Services”, select the Academic Advisor Appointment module
  • Select an Advisor, followed by a date and time that fits your schedule
  • Appointments last 25 minutes

Quick Advising offered daily:

  • Monday to Friday from 1:15pm to 3:30pm, in HERZBERG 117
  • No appointment needed, 1st come, 1st served
  • For quick questions, 5-10 minutes

To contact us:

  • MIO ACADEMIC ADVISING or drop by our office in Herzberg-117.
Authorized Absence

Please see the information below concerning filing a request for authorized absence (incompletes):


If you have any questions please write to:

authorized.absence@johnabbott.qc.ca or come to the Registrar’s Office in H-128.

How can I speak to a Psychological or Career Counsellor?

To request counselling services, send a MIO: General Counselling, or email: Counselling@johnabbott.qc.ca and a member of our team will evaluate the best way we can support you remotely, unless a referral to a community organization is more appropriate. Our Omnivox Community titled Counselling Service – Resources for Students includes a list of crisis services and helplines, as well as resources to help you practice good self-care and manage feelings of anxiety, loneliness, and boredom related to COVID-19.

The Sexual Assault Resource Team (SART) provides information, support and referrals to anyone affected by sexual violence in the John Abbott Community. To contact SART, send an MIO: SART; email: sart@johnabbott.qc.ca; or call SART help line: 514-457-6610 ext. 5555.

Harassment Resource Persons are available to provide support to the John Abbott Community in situations of psychological harassment, abuse of power, and/or violence. To reach out, send a MIO: Harassment Resource People, or email: harassment.resource@johnabbott.qc.ca; or call the Harassment Support Line: 514-457-6610, ext. 5577.

Where can I turn to for help with stress or anxiety?

Here is a list of external services:

Crisis Support (if you need urgent assistance):
Suicide Action Montreal hotline 514-723-4000
West Island Crisis Centre 514-684-6160
Suicide Prevention hotline (from anywhere in Quebec): 866-APPELLE
Sexual Assault Helpline: 514-933-9007
Text Crisis Support by KidsHelpPhone: text “CONNECT” TO 686868

Listening Services (if you need to talk)
KidsHelpPhone: 800-668-6868
Tel-Aide: 514-935-1101
Tel-Jeunes: 800-263-2266
Text Support from Tel-Jeunes: 514-600-1002

Employees can reach the Employee Assistance Program by following this link https://www.lifeworks.com/ca/

ONE-STOP SHOP - Services for students

Click here to view the One-Stop Shop: Breakdown of services available for students

back Skip to content