The student fees are administered jointly by Student Services and the Student Union (SUJAC) through the Student Activity Committee (SAC). Chaired by a student, SAC is composed of three students and two staff members. The committee is responsible for the allocation of all funds according to student needs and interests.
SAC funds activities and groups such as: Student Union, Agenda book, ID card processing, Bandersnatch, CSKY Radio, Sports and Recreation, Student Activities, Legal Advisory Services, Employment Centre, Academic Advising, Learning Centre, Counselling, Health and Wellness, University and Career Information Centre, student clubs, social and cultural programs, plus special projects and events.
Student fees are $162 per semester for full-time day students and $41 per course for part-time day students. Fees are subject to change on a yearly basis. Students who do not pay the fees will not be permitted to register.
The fees are divided into five categories: registration fee $20 ($5 per course for part-time day students), educational support fee $25 ($6 per course for part-time day students), student services fee $72 ($18 per course for part-time day students), student association fee $45 ($12 per course for part-time day students).
The Student Fees Refund deadline is published each semester in the Registration information sent to you as well as the Registrar’s web page.
PAYMENT OF FEES
Any fees collected by the College may be paid by cash, cheque, Master Card, VISA or bank cards (Interac, Instabank, etc.), or money order made payable to John Abbott College. A charge will be imposed for each cheque returned because of insufficient funds. If your fees are paid by an outside Agency (e.g., Emploi Québec, School Board) you must inform the Registrar’s Office at the time of Registration.
Convera GlobalPay for International and Non-Québec Resident Students
The most efficient payment process for international and non-Québec resident students to pay their student fees is through Convera’s GlobalPay for Students. This option allows you to pay the Canadian dollar student fees in the currency of your choice. Note: This is not a payment through Convera Agent locations (except in the case of some payments from India). You will simply be paying a Convera Bank account, and then Convera transfers the funds to John Abbott College in Canadian dollars.
Step-by-step instructions on how to make the payment are provided just below.
Benefits of using Convera’s GlobalPay for Students
- You make payment in the currency of your choice. This amount is then converted to Canadian dollars.
- The exchange rate quote is locked in for your payment for 72 hours after the quote is obtained.
- The exchange rate is very competitive when compared to your financial institution’s retail rates, and bank service fees may be reduced since the wire transfer that you initiate is a local transfer.
- There are NO transaction charges from Convera or John Abbott College, though you may be charged a transaction fee by your bank.
Efficient and Timely Posting
- Please include your reference information to ensure your payment reaches your John Abbott College student account quickly, typically two to five business days after your bank initiates payment.
Step by Step instructions
Step 1: Navigate to the Convera GlobalPay for Students website
Step 2: Provide Student/Payer Information
- Complete the required fields on Convera’s website (Student’s John Abbott College ID number, student’s first and last name, email address, etc.) and select NEXT.
Step 3: Enter Payment Details
- Enter the amount you wish to pay in Canadian dollars and select NEXT.
- Select the currency that you would like to pay in* from drop down list. You will notice on the right-hand side that you now see the amount that you will be paying in the currency selected.
** Select NEXT.
- Select the checkbox if you would like to receive the payment instructions via email.
- Complete other fields as listed if payer is not the student then select NEXT.
- Review conditions and select the checkbox, then select SUBMIT.NOTE: You may need to temporarily allow pop-ups on your computer in order to view the payment instructions.
Step 4: Bank Transfer
- Print your payment instructions and make the payment. For most countries this will be by wire at your bank.***
- Instruct your bank to wire transfer funds to the Convera bank account indicated on your payment instructions.
- The reference number on the payment instructions is very important. It MUST be included on your payment in order for the funds to be correctly and promptly applied to your student fee account. A reference number should NOT be used more than once. If you are making a second payment, or have a quote that has expired, please go through Steps 1-3 again to get new payments instructions with a new reference number.
- The payment must be sent within 72 hours of the quote or Convera shall use the current exchange rate to convert the currency. The expiry of the quote is indicated on the bottom of the payment instructions that you have printed.
Step 5: Payment Finalized
- While the transfer is in progress your account will continue to show the outstanding amount.
- John Abbott College will post the Canadian dollar equivalent to your student account, generally two to five days after your local bank initiates payment.
* If your local currency is not an option available in the system, you will need to choose another currency on the list to arrange your payment, or contact [Enter Your Contact Information Here] for more information. The subject line should read “Convera payment issue”. Please indicate what currency you are trying to pay in, or where you are trying to pay from, and what the precise issue is.
** When paying from China or India, you will be given your rate when you process your transfer per the payment instructions.
*** For payments from India, China and South Korea, you will be instructed to pay on a particular website or bank (e.g. ICICI for India)