The Academic Advising Department of John Abbott College is located in the Herzberg Building on the main floor in H-117.
Because the CEGEP system places the responsibility for meeting diploma requirements on students, all students are encouraged to meet with an Academic Advisor every semester in their stay at the College.
- Provide students with accurate information about the College’s policies, procedures, resources and programs.
- Assist students in developing educational plans that are consistent with their own individual career and life goals, and in developing life goals by relating the students’ interests, skills, abilities and values to careers, higher education, and the world of work.
- Advise students individually, on an appointment basis. Confidentiality and friendly, personalized attention are assured.
- Work closely with and refer students to other institutional resources such as Faculty, Financial Aid, Counselling, University and Career Information Center, and the College Student Success Coordinator.
- Maintain a valuable link between students and the College by providing information about students’ needs, preferences and performance to program committees, program chairs, and academic management.
- Hold information sessions for students in group settings as the need arises.
Feel free to join our Academic Advising Portal community.
For more information, please contact the Chair of Advising:
(514) 457 6610 Ext 5290
firstname.lastname@example.org, also reachable via MIO
FAQs Academic Advising
What are common reasons to reach out to an Academic Advisor?
- Academic Advisors help students understand diploma requirements and plan their course selection each semester to ensure they will graduate in a timeframe that works for them;
- Academic Advisors advise students who have fallen behind and need help planning their courses, including summer school and/or inter-session courses;
- Academic Advisors help identify university and vocational program entrance requirements;
- Academic Advisors help students who want to change their program consider the various options within the CEGEP system.
- Academic Advisors should not be confused with Counsellors. John Abbott College has a dedicated team of Counsellors who offer both Psychological & Career Counselling.
How do new students make their first contact with Academic Advising?
In June, newly admitted students will be invited to attend a “Program & Registration Information Session”. In this session, students will receive information about their program structure as well as learn how to make their schedules. Invitations will be sent via Messaging In Omnivox (MIO).
How can new students meet with an Academic Advisor?
If students have questions BEFORE the semester begins, they can send their questions via MIO: Academic Advising
Once the semester has started, students can connect with an Academic Advisor in a variety of ways:
- Quick Advising
My goal is to eventually change programs. How do I know what courses to register for the Winter semester?
We can assist you with this, please send us this question via MIO: Academic Advising.
Do I have to complete my program in the timeframe indicated?
No, some students will choose to extend their program by 1 or 2 semesters. We recommend that you start by registering for a full course load and speak with us at the beginning of the semester so that we can go over your options with you. Students can drop courses by the course drop deadline which can be found on the Academic Calendar.