This guide is the combined effort of the following English Colleges: Champlain Lennoxville, Champlain St. Lambert, Champlain St. Lawrence, Dawson College, Heritage College, John Abbott College, Marianopolis, and Vanier College.
With this guide, you can self-assess your readiness for college success. You can keep these resources for reference to help you along your way. By consulting each section, you will have the opportunity to reflect, learn new strategies, find helpful information, and get an overview of your college’s resources.
Do not hesitate to reach out to access services and resources to get more support.
ARE YOU READY FOR ONLINE LEARNING?
Read the statements below. You can answer yes, no or not sure. Anytime you answer no or not sure, we encourage you to explore the resources provided to help you in your journey to online learning in college.
To view the statements click here.
COMPUTER AND TECHNOLOGY HELP
- I have a reliable computer for my own use during course
- I have a consistent and reliable internet
- I have audio and video connection (speakers or headphones, camera, and microphone).
- I know how to use the portal of my college, such as Omnivox, Moodle, Lea,
- I know how to use video conferencing for online learning, such as MS Teams or
- I am comfortable using video conferencing for online learning, such as MS Teams or
- I am able to problem solve computer problems myself.
- I know where to seek help when computer and technology problems arise.
Science and Math
- I feel well prepared for the science and Math classes.
- I finished the winter semester in my high school.
Reading and Writing Skills
- I feel well prepared for reading academic sources.
- I feel well prepared for writing academic papers.
English Language Skills
- I feel that I can communicate comfortably in English.
- I feel I can understand the English spoken in the classroom.
French language Skills
- I feel that I can communicate comfortably in French.
- I feel I can understand the French spoken in the classroom.
STUDY SKILLS AND ORGANIZATION
- I can study
- I feel highly motivated to begin this
- I am good at planning and organizing my
- I keep up with my assignments and don’t fall
- It takes me a long time to learn anything or to
- I find it hard to concentrate when doing
- I strive to balance my study time, family, work and social life. I do fun physical activities or exercise regularly, get enough sleep, and eat nutritious
- I have a comfortable learning
- I find ways to take care of myself when I am sick.
- I ask for help when I feel stressed or anxious.
- I use effective coping strategies when I feel stressed or
- I find it easy unplug from social
- I take time to build and maintain my relationships online and
- I feel safe in my
- I know where to seek help within student
- I know what are appropriate ways in which to communicate with classmates, professors and staff at the college.
- I feel comfortable communicating with my professors and staff at the college.
- I feel comfortable initiating online conversations with
- I am aware of how to appropriately behave in online
- I have read through and am aware of the college’s Code of Conduct and other policies.