Being organized and prepared is an essential part of learning. When studying in class, structure for learning is provided, but in an online setting, you must create your own structure and be more self-directed. Don’t be afraid to experiment and be flexible as different strategies may work for you at different times.
For in-person and online learning activities:
- Complete your readings prior to class.
- Bring all readings and handouts to the class session.
- Attend class alert and ready to engage with the material, professor and classmates.
- Do not be afraid to ask questions: you can send the questions privately on chat, MIO, or email if you are nervous to speak aloud.
For organizing your school work, time and physical space:
- Carve out a positive work space, one where you feel able to focus.
- Try different methods to manage social media.
- Chunk time and material into manageable sections.
- Keep an agenda or calendar, either printed or online.
- Create checklists to keep you on task.
- Keep separate notebooks or folders for each course.