This Intensive Immersion Program is designed to improve communication skills. Our emphasis is on building confidence in English through participation in engaging activities such as group projects, role playing, debating and presentations. Students will further develop their language skills by participating in dynamic, creative, fun afternoon and evening activities.
Classroom activities focus on communication skills (speaking & writing) and comprehension skills (reading & listening). Emphasis will be placed on:
- Vocabulary development
- Learning techniques and strategies
- Grammatical form and usage
- Autonomous learning
- Critical thinking
- Presentation skills
John Abbott College is committed to building student confidence in English.
Participants must be 15 years of age on or before the day of arrival in Montreal.
All English levels are welcome.
Homestay is a unique opportunity to live with English and/or French speaking families near the College. You will enjoy practicing both these languages and learn firsthand what it means to live in Canada. A furnished bedroom and three meals a day (plus snacks) are part of the homestay program.
Host families are located an average 50-minute ride from John Abbott College via Montreal’s clean, comfortable, and efficient public transportation system.
Host families share their day-to-day life with international students, including leisure activities and outings. All host families are screened by John Abbott College. They are selected to ensure a fulfilling and cultural experience. A member of the College staff is available 24/7 to assists students with personal matters.
Learning Activities (Monday to Friday)
- 15-20 hours per week of in-class English instruction
- Daily conversation activities (athletics, art, leadership, etc.)
- One full-day learning activity per week
- Day Trip to Québec City and/or Ottawa
- Visits to Montreal cultural locations (Montreal Museum of Fine Arts, Biodôme, Olympic Park, Montreal’s Old Port, etc.)
Social and Cultural Activities
Amazing activities will be organized by Canadian students. They include:
- Evening and weekend sports and recreation
- Trips to Montreal festivals and events (minimum 1 per week): Montreal Jazz Festival, Fireworks Festival, Food Truck Festival, etc.
- La Ronde amusement park and more!
Sunday, May 29 to Saturday, July 2, 2016.
Sunday, July 3, 2016 to Sunday July 31, 2016.
Registration Deadline: May 31, 2017.
International Programs Office
Herzberg Building, room 410 (H-410)
Tel.: +1 (514) 457 6610, ext. 5469